Sunday, April 16, 2006

THE BIG, BAD "BUG"


I have a great job, taking care of two little ones parttime while their Mom teaches school. My two sons, Ben & Jesse, are grown, so this gives me the opportunity to snuggle and sing goofy songs and watch Sesame Street again!!

Most days, it's a joy to be able to spend time with Jane & George. There are so many funny things that they do & say! A simple walk in the neighborhood magically turns into an adventure as we hunt for "Goggies" & "Meowmies". A ride in "Miss Patti's" old station wagon to school is sooooo exciting! Coloring is a social activity, and lunchtime always holds unexpected silliness & treats! It's a blessing to me to be able to once more see life through the eyes of a child!!

But, last Monday was a difficult day on Sesame Street! Both Jane & George were coming down with a "bug", and there was no comforting George. Poor little buddy! -- he was coughing and wheezing and hungry and tired. His nose was so stuffed that he couldn't breathe, so drinking his bottle was all but impossible. Jane was feeling yucky, too, and whinier than her usual cheerful self. Who could blame her? At only two, she wanted -- no NEEDED -- attention, someone to get her juice and cookies and to empathize with her misery. But I was so busy walking and rocking and jiggling her baby brother that I had little time to comfort her. And so it was a VERY LONG day...

I came home, exhausted and in tears. Had I done enough for these little ones? What could I have done better? Quite honestly, I had tried all day to do my best; but this was a tenacious "bug", and all day it had had the upper hand.

Funny, how easy it is to forget how difficult caring for little ones can be!! Parenting is certainly not for the faint of heart! Lord, please help me to have Your patience & love with Jane & George, no matter what the day may bring...

Today I'm home with the "bug", too (though I seem to have a milder case). Jane & George's grandma has come to help out, so I have the luxury of taking it easy and getting better. I have my big box of Kleenex, my fuzzy slippers, and my bottomless glass of OJ. A long nap is sounding pretty good right now...

Written 1/14/06

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...